Is IUI Painful?
Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) is a medical procedure that involves the introduction of sperm directly into the uterine cavity, during ovulation. This is one of the most commonly used Assisted Reproduction Technology for treating infertility.
IUI is mostly recommended for couples who have been unsuccessful in conceiving children on their own. Other than that it is also recommended-
- In case a woman’s cervical mucus is sparse or thick, blocking the sperms from entering the uterus. This condition is also called hostile cervical mucus. With IUI the sperms can bypass the mucus and meet with the eggs.
- When fertility drugs have failed to produce results
- If your partner’s sperm motility or shape is inadequate
- When sexual intercourse is not possible due to pain while doing it
- If you and your partner have elected to use a sperm donor instead.
On the contrary, there are also some cases where IUI is not recommended. These case are as follows.
- Severe endometriosis
- Blocked fallopian tubes